Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

TRACKABLES: Travel Bugs and Geocoins

As most of us know Trackables are either Travel Bugs (TB’s) or Geocoins (GC’s) that travel from cache to cache. There are other types of Trackables, but these are the ones we’ll talk about here. The very first TB was an idea by Mount10Bike, a Geocacher from Washington State, who hid a lawn ornament shaped like a frog. Its goal was to travel from cache to cache. Then he released a GC to commemorate his 100th find. These Trackables became a big hit. The number of TB’s and GC’s continue to climb as each day passes.
I just sent out two TB’s for our homeschool project, which is part of the Educaching class that I mentioned in an earlier post. These TB’s were sent to Australia and England. They were dropped off there by two Geocachers that I met online. I mailed the TB’s to them and then they placed them in the caches for me.
Each TB has the same goal. It is to travel to as many caches as possible and then return to the USA by April of 2012, or earlier. That is when our students graduate. This project will allow the students to track the TB’s through Google Earth, and learn a little bit about other cultures and places. The TB’s are named Pencil Numero Uno, and Pencil Numero Two-O. (The students named them.)


Notice they are Ticonderoga pencils, which we think happen to be the best pencils around. My wife always tells the kids that “what goes through the pencil tip sticks.” Meaning if you write it enough times you’ll remember it. I know this all too well. While attending Basic Training in the USAF my Drill Instructor called my name and I said “yeah”. He then informed me I needed to learn a little discipline. He had me write “I will always say Sir, Yes Sir” 100 times. When I was done I told him “Sir, I’m finished”, he then said “Good, now rip it up and flush it down the toilet.” I then told him “okay.” His response was “write it 200 more times when you’re done with that.” Sir, Yes Sir. I’ll never forget that. By the way, I hate pencils.
Okay, back to TB’s. Have you ever sent a TB to another country, if so, where did you send it to? If not, what is the farthest state one of yours has been too? Also, what is your favorite TB/GC that you own, and what is the neatest one you have ever found?

My favorite TB that I own is “Anniversary Bug.” This TB was released on our 25th wedding anniversary while revisiting Niagara Falls, which is where we spent our first wedding anniversary. It is currently traveling in Canada. The neatest one I have found so far is a GC and it is called Mercury Rising. It is just so cool. Here is a picture of it.

I love reading the cache pages the owners come up with for their TB’s and GC’s. They are all usually really interesting.
Now maybe it’s just me, but I really enjoy seeing where my TB has been, and how many miles it has gone since I released it. Does anyone else do this, or is it just beginners curiosity? Right now I have 11 TB’s and 1 GC. The GC is one I won in a contest. I hope to soon make my own design for a GC. So tell me a little about your TB’s and GC’s and your adventures finding them or hiding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment