Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

The Eagle has landed

A few weeks ago I was taking my daughter to work and then my wife, a friend and I were going to go to the Fiber Festival at the Harford Fair. Just before we got to her job we noticed this Bald Eagle sitting in a field very close to the road. I hit the brakes and told everyone to grab their cameras. We were all scurrying to get them out and he took off. Thankfully I have a good camera with a good zoom. I was able to zoom right in on him and get some really nice pictures.


So he sat there for quite some time just looking around. We weren't sure if he was going to swoop down on something or not.  

 Then he decided to clean his beak off. Maybe he had just finished eating a fish from the nearby stream.

No, there are no little morsels left here on the stick.













Then he just seemed be saying "Take one more look because I'm getting tired of all of these pictures". He let me take enough for now  before he flew off. What a wonderful sight. I just love seeing birds like this.

Later on, after the Fiber Festival and a few Geocaches, we drove down the same stretch of road. We had to stop again, but not because of the Eagle. This time it was another big bird, and he was eating on something. I finally realized that the Eagle may have had a meal there and the other birds came in for it after he flew off.



Recognize this guy? He's the Turkey Vulture. He's looking for a meal.

 He seems to be saying "What are you looking at?"


"Just leave me alone. I'm trying to eat." Well we watched them for a while, there were four of them, and then we had to leave. I was just thankful we were able to see all of the wildlife we saw that day. We could not have asked for a better day. Beautiful weather, nice caches, and some big birds to boot.


2 comments:

  1. Holy cow Rob, these are incredible pictures. The very first eagle photo looks like it came right out of Outdoor Life! Fantastic job and I’m sure it was a memorable day. You should search some wildlife photo contests with these, you’re a sure winner. Please post them to NEPAG as well. Many members are into eagle sightings and there is a thread dedicated to it. What luck and oh yes, the turkey vultures are cool too but pale in comparison to the majestic eagle.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete