Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon

PENNSYLVANIA’S GRAND CANYON
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to visit the PA Grand Canyon with my wife, mother-in-law, and about 52 other Forest Landowners. We are all members of the Susquehanna County Forest Landowners Association (SCFLOA). This was the Fall Foliage trip that our group decided to take this year. It was a bus trip to see the PA Grand Canyon in its entire splendor, and then to also visit the PA Lumber Museum.

We arrived at the Grand Canyon and it was spectacular. The leaves were beautiful in their colors of red, orange, yellow, green, and all shades in-between. This was my first time being there and I could not believe the view you have from the observation area. As you look out over the rolling mountains it seems as if you could see into forever. Looking down in the gorge you could see the mighty Pine Creek. It was flowing strong from all of the recent rain.  We were at about 1833 feet elevation, and Pine Creek sits at about 1050 feet. The water looked swift and cold for an October day, yet there were still people heading downstream in canoes. We could just barely see them when they were way upstream. At one point I noticed a big bird soaring overhead and when I looked I realized it was a Turkey Vulture. He looked huge as he flew over us. He landed somewhere below us on the rock ledges.


As I looked back upstream I noticed one canoe heading straight for the bank. The people got out of the canoe quickly and then they disappeared into the woods. Then I noticed another canoe coming downstream, but there was something unusual about it. As I zoomed in on it with my camera I realized that the canoe was upside down and then I could see something floating in the water. I began taking pictures and we watched as the canoe went out of sight for a moment.

When it reappeared it was upright again, but there was no one inside. I began taking more pictures of all of their stuff floating downstream. The canoe eventually floated by us and then a person came out of a little house down below and got in a silver canoe and tried gathering up some of the people’s things. He had already missed the other canoe so there appeared to be no saving it. We talked with the Park Ranger before leaving and he said they were aware of the people and their situation, but that everyone was alright. He said there were people down below who were helping them. We were all thankful that no one got injured, but saddened that they lost so much stuff. We did not have lots of time to spend there so we loaded back up on the bus and headed on towards our next destination the Coach Stop Inn and Restaurant. Our lunch was buffet style with lots to enjoy. After lunch we headed off to the Lumber Museum.
We arrived at the museum and decided we would need to be back on the bus around 3:45 since the museum closed at 4:00. This would give us about 3 hours to see everything.  Sylinda, Mom and I headed into the main building to look at all of the vendors who were selling all sorts of items. They had antiques, books, new things, and items out of their gift shop. We spent quite a bit of time in there and the ladies did buy some books.

Then we headed down to the little lumber village. There were a number of buildings to look in. The first building was where the train came in and unloaded logs, then there was a stable, a filer’s shack for sharpening axes and saws, a blacksmith’s shop, a carpenter’s shop, and the mess hall, which housed the dining area, kitchen, and bunk house. It would really be neat to have seen this in action. We also went into the Steam Powered Sawmill. This building is still used about twice per year for actual demonstrations. There were about 60 men in one camp who did all of the work. Trees were cut down, debarked, and brought to the mill for cutting. This was a long and tedious job, and definitely hard work. These men got paid anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00.  After walking around and getting plenty of pictures we went back to the main building and bought some more gifts. Then we loaded the bus and headed out for Wellsboro.

We arrived in Wellsboro and had about an hour and a half to find a place to eat, get seated, order, and eat. The bus was leaving promptly at 6:00 p.m. We decided to eat at the historic, Wellsboro Diner. My barber back in Clarks Summit had suggested we eat there if we got the chance so we did. The diner has been there since 1929 and is an old train car converted into a diner. The food is fabulous and the service was phenomenal. We really enjoyed our meal and it was well worth the wait to be able to sit at the counter and watch the cook work her magic. She was friendly, focused, and fast. We were able to see everything she made, and it all looked delicious. When we were done we did buy some of the HUGE cookies they have there for dessert. We figured we could eat them later on as we traveled home. Since we still had a little time before the bus would be leaving, we decided we would go shopping around town.
We headed down the sidewalk and I noticed a book store on the corner. I told my wife and her mom they ought to go in there and I would walk down the street and see what was at the end. They went in and I started walking really fast. I knew from programming my GPS that there were two Geocaches in the little park at the end of the street. Sneak? You bet. I had preloaded some caches in the area into my GPS hoping for a chance to check them out.

I got to the park and there were several people there enjoying the beautiful fall day. I tried finding the first cache and I just could not find it. Then I wondered if it had been muggled. I decided to try for the second one. This cache was an easy find. I signed the log and then my wife called and asked where I was. I told her and she said “I knew it” I explained we did not have enough time to do both together, and I knew she would like the bookstore more. She then said I would have to bring her back to find it. I love it when a plan comes together. Now we get to come back at a later date. We then headed for the bus and we were right on time for departure.
We headed back to Montrose, which was our starting point. All in all it was a beautiful day and we got to see many wonderful places. I highly recommend this as a place to visit, and if you do go be sure to allow plenty of time at the Grand Canyon for walking the trails that are there. I am not sure how many caches are there so you’ll have to check that out for yourself. If you decided to go canoeing make sure all of your stuff is in sealed plastic bags like this couples stuff was. It makes it easier to see as it floats by for taking pictures. Enjoy!!



1 comment:

  1. Well, if your day job doesn’t work out, you have a successful future as a tour guide. Whew , I have to sit down and take a rest after all that running around! Great job! You had my attention from beginning to end and even threw in a little drama! I felt like I was there on that bus with you guys. Nice quality pictures, well written post and interesting focus, you are very talented my friends and this blog is the best kept secret going. Don’t ever think that no one is reading your posts like on my blog, lol. I may miss a few days but will always take the time to visit my friends in one way or another.

    Thanks for bring me along to a place I have always wanted to visit and now want to even more.

    ReplyDelete